Monday, July 12, 2010

This year in particular the ALL-Star Game is more than a game for show

There will be plenty of chips in the center of the table when they throw out the first pitch for the 2010 All-Star game other than upset advertisers if the game is a sleeper. Ever since they raised the stakes by awarding the winner of the game the privilege of hosting the World Series for their league champion. However this year will double down that bet as the top teams in each league (Yankees/Braves) have 2 of top 3 home records in all of baseball. NYY is 28-13 second only to the Tigers in winning percentage, and the Braves have the best home record in all of baseball at 30-10, a winning percentage (.750) that is hotter that the summers in Hotlanta. Because of this long gone are the days of playing hometown boys 5 innings, letting pitchers finish out their inning if they’re getting rocked, and, gasp! playing for the tie in order to get to the airport in time for your flight. Ok, so it improves the TV ratings, probably the game itself, and increases the revenue for the league but is it really fair to a club that bust it’s @#% for the whole year to gain best record only to have it “awarded” to the opposing team because of that outcome of a game they couldn’t control? The Braves have the most to lose with this system and even with 4 players on the NL team (second in NL to St. Louis) that only represents 10% of the team so if the other 90% decide to hit Hollywood the night before or catch some rays in Newport, and aren’t ready to play come Tuesday, the entire Braves team may be regretting the outcome that warm Summer night when the weather turns cold in October. And what if the moon’s align and the Padres continue to surprise and make a return trip for the first time in a over a quarter century with their lone representative? I’m not trying to stir things up when there’s no war to be fought, and God knows Selig is up to his Dumbo’s in rhetoric over instant replay but, remember this entry come October when game 7 is scheduled to be in Yankee Stadium and the question is raised how they were so lucky to not be staring in the face of a 25% chance of placing another trophy in the case. Do you like MLB’s position on awarding the League that wins the All-Star game home filed advantage? Let us know here and in the All-Star game chat room or quick links:


No comments:

SmacChat Ready to Start Talking Smack Sports Fans? SmacChat is the premier online sports entertainment site. Live chat rooms for every game in the country, with fans from both sides, sports blogs, live scores, betting lines, and much more. No cost to join, so log in and let the nation know what you've got to say! Visit our parent site http://www.smacchat.com for live chats, videos, and latest news.